Technical Support Engineer
Full-time salaried/exempt position reporting to Technical Support Director. Typical work schedule is Monday – Friday, 7am – 4pm. Position is located in San Marcos, CA and will require up to 10-20% occasional travel in North America to customer sites.
This position will provide phone and on-site technical support to Application and Sales personnel and customers. Incumbent will supervise customer site cleaning and pilot studies to evaluate performance of Avista products.
Responsibilities include (but are not be limited to):
- Support Application and Sales personnel in their role to increase sales through professional communication with existing and new clients (manage and interpret customer requirements to understand, anticipate and meet their needs).
- Support efforts to maintain sales of existing clients by managing and reducing attrition.
- Review black box requests to initiate deployment, oversee installation or install, monitor and analyze black box data and report results to the customer.
- Normalize and report customer site data. Network with peers in the industry, particularly membrane manufacturers and Architect and Engineering (A&E) firms.
- Identify and resolve customer concerns and recommend a course of action as required.
- Author and present technical papers at industry events.
- Support Avista laboratory and OSCAR staff as necessary to assist customers.
- Conduct on-site pilot studies and other technical or R&D support projects.
- Work with the Avista laboratory chemists to ensure Workorder project requirements are met.
- Assist in the production of technical presentations and present as necessary.
- Coordinate with Avista Inside Sales to prepare responses to RFP (Request For Proposals).
- Understand the Avista product line and how each chemical is selected and applied.
- Use and understand the Avista Advisor, chemical dosing software.
- Use and understand NormRO, Avista’s RO system normalization program.
- Attend and participate in industry Workshops, trade shows, conferences and other marketing events.
- Maintain knowledge of competitor products and identify and report intelligence on competitor pricing or marketing strategies as they become known.
- Demonstrate and explain best practices in applying Avista products to customers.
- Travel to customer sites, trade shows, workshops as needed within North America for three to four days at a time.
- Understand and comply with established guidelines that ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Minimum 5-years’ experience in the water treatment industry.
- Experience designing, operating, troubleshooting and/or constructing reverse osmosis systems.
- Proficiency or experience with CRM’s is beneficial.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with the customized software programs of membrane manufacturer and/or chemical providers (i.e. Avista competitors).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and/or equivalents.
- Organized with a demonstrated ability to work independently.
BS minimum in chemical or mechanical engineering, preferred or equivalent experience in water treatment industry acceptable
Required Regulatory Training:
- This position is subject to logistics and/or chemical handling training, including those regulated by Federal, State, and City agencies which may include: The Department of Transportation (D.O.T), IATA, and IMO, and specific to Class 8 Corrosive products. Avista will provide the required training via qualified third-party entities.