Director of Product Management
The Director of Product Management at Avista entails four functions: product strategy, technical product management, product marketing, and field marketing. They are responsible for product planning and execution throughout the lifecycle of the product. This includes gathering and prioritizing requirements for products, defining the vision for products, and collaborating with other leaders from the research and development, marketing, sales, technical support and operations departments to ensure that the financial and customer satisfaction goals are met. This role reports directly to the Vice President of Business Planning and Strategy.
The Director of Product Management will also ensure that that the company’s overall strategy and goals are supported by those of products; that the goals and strategy do not deviate from that of the business.
Salary range of $160,000-$175,000.
- Conducts research and develops a good understanding of the customer’s and company’s needs, new technologies, trends in the market, and competitors.
- Works closely with product users (i.e., end users, sales channel partners, influencers) to identify and fill product gaps and generate new ideas that grow market share, improve customer experience and drive company growth while considering overlap with existing offerings.
- Develops requirements documents, functional specifications, and mock-ups to clearly illustrate product ideas and concepts.
- Defines product or feature requirements and prioritizes based on data-driven (market data, sales volume, system data, etc.) decisions.
- Works closely with product development, marketing, and sales to plan and execute field trials for chemicals and beta testing for software.
- Develops business plan for products and participates in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including analysis, design, testing, and integration of products as well as the introduction of products to the market.
- Works on cross-functional team to translate customer needs and technology directions into product definitions.
- Develops product pricing in collaboration with sales, marketing, operations, and R&D as well as positioning strategies.
- Drives product launches including working with product development, marketing, sales, and executives.
- Evaluates promotional plans to ensure they are consistent with product line strategy and that the message is effectively conveyed.
- Ensures print and online marketing materials are carefully crafted for each product to maximize product appeal and yield revenue results.
- Works intimately with the sales and marketing department to develop marketing strategies, lead generation strategies, and sales strategies.
- Represents the company by visiting customers to solicit input on company products and services.
- Represents company at trade shows where product-market fit is appropriate. Works with sales/marketing to ensure marketing and exhibit features are optimal.
- Assists with Business Development opportunities (i.e., consulting firm and membrane manufacturers projects) as a product expert.
- Responsible for driving the execution of all processes in the product lifecycle, including developing, defining, and overseeing the product’s roadmap and managing it as required for the purpose of meeting deliverables for the business.
- Contributes and collaborates in creating the product vision to support the company’s strategic objectives
- Conducts and analyzes product and market research.
- 10-15 yrs work experience as a senior technical product manager preferably in the membrane separations industry
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful product through all stages of its lifecycle
- Proven ability to develop product and marketing strategies and effectively communicate recommendations to executive management
- Solid technical background in membrane chemicals
- Skilled at working effectively with cross-functional and global teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- MS/BS degree in chemistry or chemical engineering or relevant years of experience
- Excellent communications skills to engage and influence internal and external customers
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals and groups at all organizational levels; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management, organizational, problem-prevention and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness and flexibility to adapt to changing business needs and deadlines.
- Flexible work schedule and the availability to travel up to approximately 30% of the time
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite